Saturday, October 15, 2011

A month without groceries followup


I'm a little behind!  I did pretty well the first half of the month as far as not going to the store.  Then things went a little downhill, but not too bad.  I added up what I spent for the month and I came up with 218.11. I don't think that is too bad for 2 adults and a preschooler.

A few things I started with:
4 lbs. butter - used 3 lbs.
25 lbs. hard red wheat - used about 2 lbs.
20 lbs. AP flour - used about 10 lbs.
4 lbs. cheddar cheese - used it all!

The stores had some pretty good sales, so I stocked up on items. There were trips I made for those items, so not all of what I spent was for that month.  

My ideas of grocery shopping are constantly evolving.  I am focusing on stocking up when things are on sale.  For instance, last week a local store had coupons in their flyer.  Oscar Meyer bacon was $2.69 for a 16 oz. package after the coupon.  I bought 10 packs.  They also had good prices on lunchmeat and cheese.  Husband takes sandwiches him to work, so I have to keep enough on hand.  This week, there is a good sale on peanut butter.  I bought 6 jars.  That should last us a while!

I have decided to start keeping track of grocery spending in a ledger.  I am curious to see how my spending averages out after a few months.   I know there will be months when I spend more because of sales.  But there will be months, when I spend less because I already have plenty.

I really love Azure Standard for my bulk shopping.  I order my wheat berries, dry beans, popcorn, dry fruit and some produce from them.  Everything I have purchased has been excellent!   

I would like to try this again in the spring/summer when my garden is producing more and I can use the farmer's market better.  It was an odd time to try this because we are at the end of our growing season.

1 comment:

  1. check out my blog about watching sale price

    http://dailydoseofjones.blogspot.com/2012/01/groceries-savings-healthy-eating.html

    I am trying to buy more bulk as well! You have the right idea for sure!

    ReplyDelete